January 3, 2014

Resolution

New Years Resolutions are one of those things that I always love, and always end up hating.  I've kept a few in my day, but the reoccurring ones seem to...well, reoccur year after year.  I've never been a great goal-setter, mostly for the fact that I either reach too high or they have no real definition (i.e. lose weight, be more spiritual, etc.)  This year, I'm hoping that the goals I set will be different and attainable. 

1. Lose 50 pounds this year.  I wish that was the end of the road, but I still have more to lose on top of that.  That will be a task for 2015, I think.  I'm very optimistic about this goal, because at the end of last year, I had already started losing by tracking my calories on www.livestrong.com and by working out (going to the gym to do the treadmill, elliptical, etc and by going to Zumba twice a week).  I will continue to do those things, but happily for me, they are now offering more Zumba classes each week.  I'm ready to be healthy.  It's about stinking time.

2.  Read 50 books this year.  I LOVE to read, but somewhere between three kids and laziness, my reading has seriously slacked in recent years.  So my goal is 50 books, which is almost one a week.  And the real kicker is that half of them have to be books I have never read before.  I love love love the books I love, and so I revisit them often.  I'm trying to broaden my horizons, though, and so would love suggestions.

3.  Read the scriptures more this year.  This seems like a "no real definition" kind of goal, but it isn't.  I will read at least a verse, every day.  No matter where I am or what is going on around me.  I will also finish both the Book of Mormon and the New Testament this year.

4.  Spend time every day with each of the kids playing and reading.  That means meaningful play.  Sometimes when I tell them to play, they (especially Andrew) looks around as if to say, "But how?"  So I am going to make sure to get down on the floor every day and show them how to have fun with their toys, puzzles, games, etc.  And that also means reading at least one book to them each day.  They love to read, and I love to read to them, but there are days when I find that I haven't cracked a single book.

So that's it.  I'm hoping that this will make me more accountable.  I love making New Year's Resolutions, and I especially love completing one.  What are yours?

2 comments:

Mom said...

I'm planning on reading the Old Testament this year since it is the one that Sunday School is doing. I figured it up and if I read only three pages per day I can finish it. So I think I will try to do more than the three pages per day in case something comes up where I am not able to do it for a day or so.

Don't know if I will finish that many books in a year but I do like to read and try to always have something to pick up.

I'm not really saying how much weight I want to lose in a year; I'm just going to keep up with my weight loss plan and hope I'll get close to my final goal.

Good luck with your goals!!

KarinaK17 said...

Those are awesome goals! :) What kind of books do enjoy reading?