November 21, 2011

Parents

Today, as I always am, I am thankful for my parents.  I will be 30 next month, but I still rely on the steady rock that is my parents.  I know I can always turn to them, and they will be there. 

My dad is loving.  Andrew and Emily both love him, and I distinctly remember loving to sit on my dad's lap.  He is funny.  I mean, the guy is amazing.  He can remember any joke, and always has one at the tip of his tongue for any situation.  That's pretty good, but the fact that he can remember basically anything he's read....ever (!) that's amazing.  He is so smart, and so detailed.  My dad is always thinking of his kids, and is a wise daddy with very good advice.  I love to hear him play the guitar.  It's so soothing, and I know I got my love of music from him.  My dad loves my mom, and that has never been something we had to question.  Of all the things my dad is to me, he has become a marvelous example of how a husband should love and revere his wife.  It helped me make my decision of who to marry, because I knew I wanted someone to love me like that.  I'm so grateful to him for seeking out the church, remaining faithful, and teaching me.   He's the best, and I love him with all my heart.

My mom is...incredible.  Warm, generous, kind, funny, clever, great cook, amazing grandma, and solid as a rock.  My mom was put on this earth to be an angel to her kids.  She is so kind.  She always has something good to say about someone else, and is so in tune with the spirit to know who needs her.  Heavenly Father started teaching her at such an early age about who he was and what the truths of the gospel were.  She was ready, even then, to embrace the truth and live accordingly.  I know I'm not alone in feeling that my mom is the woman on earth I most admire.  This week while talking to my big brother, I said, "Mom is so great." He responded, "She's perfect."  And she is.  She will certainly read this and shake her head, feeling that she's not all that we think she is, but the truth is, looking to our mom as an example has done nothing but strengthened me and caused me to be better.  When I think of the typical idealistic grandma, I am thinking of my mom.  My kids both love her and it's so fun for me to see them getting to know the lady I love so much.  It's hard for me to express really how I feel about her, but this is a start.

I love you, Mom and Dad!  Thank you for letting me come to live at your house!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Awww, shucks! Thanks for the kind words, and yes, a shake of the head. I love you, Karen.