November 6, 2011

Being a Jacobs

Today I am grateful to be a Jacobs. 

In August 1999, my family moved to Salem, Missouri.  It was a big adjustment for me.  I missed my house, my friends, my ward, etc.  My very first Sunday I met three of my sister-in-laws.  One was my YW president and I thought she was amazing right off.  One was a cute little Beehive wearing bobby socks and shoes with elephants on them.  She was adorable (and continues on, only with different shoes).  And one was about my age, and I knew right away that I wanted to be her friend.  I thought she was just amazing.  I was so right.

Fastforward to about 7 years ago.  I had realized I was in love with Michael, but had decided not to say anything for lots of reasons, one being that I didn't want to lose my best friend.  I was sitting in his parents' living room, drinking OJ and talking to his mom.  I wanted so much to do that sort of thing again and again with her, and all of the Jacobs family.  Luckily for me, my best friend had been in love with me for quite a while, so it worked out that I have subsequently had lots of OJ and spoken with my mother-in-law lots and lots.  So.....yay!

Since then, I have come to know all of the Jacobs.  I was so excited to fall in love with Michael, not only because he was the single best guy I had ever met, but because then I had a chance to become part of the Jacobs family, officially!  My mother-in-law and father-in-law are incredible, and I just love speaking with them and spending time with them.  Mike's brothers and sisters are equally amazing, and I miss them when I don't seem them. 

What a warm, inviting, funny, quirky, great family.  I feel so lucky to have them as my in-laws.  I feel so lucky to have them as Drew and Em's grandparents and aunts and uncles.  Visiting Salem is tough, because I want to stay with and visit both families all the time and that just isn't feasible.  (Something about not being able to be two places at the same time. Sheesh, stupid laws of physics.)

I love them, and so today, I am so very grateful to be a Jacobs.

1 comment:

Littlest Liz said...

Oh my goodness, those shoes! LOL! I remember being SO happy when Grandma broke down and got me those. :D Too funny. I love you, Karen!!! I knew you were awesome that first day, when you told us that Karen and Aaron rhyme. :)