October 1, 2009

1st meal of October

I know it looks a little funny- pictures of food never quite turn out right. This is a recipe we got from our friends, the Cannons. It's Tomato Dill Soup. It is soooooo good and perfect for the first day of October as it is ORANGE! :) Here's the recipe if you want it. It is totally delicious, and so easy to make.
Tomato Dill Soup
Saute 1 thinly sliced onion and 1 minced clove garlic in 2 tsp vegetable or olive oil and 1 tsp butter until tender. Add 3 large tomatoes, blended (or use 1- 28 oz can canned tomatoes. Don't use the juice but save it for later- This is what I used. It was way easier. All I did was stick those puppies in there and mash them up with the spoon.), a pinch of salt, and pepper to taste. (I used more salt as that's a lot of tomatoes.) Cook over medium high heat for 2 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat and stir in 1 6-oz can tomato paste. In small bowl, combine 1/4 c flour and 1/2 c. water. Stir until smooth. Stir into pan. Add 2-3 cups sour cream (depending on your tastes) along with dill and onion powder to taste. Cook over low heat until heated through. Don't boil. (I accidently let it boil so had to add water to make it thinner. I wish I hadn't thrown out the tomato juice from the can so I could have used it, but the water worked great also.)
I also somehow managed to burn the tips of my fingers. No fingerprints for me, baby. Enjoy General Conference this weekend!!!

1 comment:

Renae said...

Tomato Dill ... interesting. I think I might like it. Oh, and I LOOOOVVVVEEEE James Herriot!!!!! Definitely a favorite! You and I must have similar taste in books.