March 17, 2013

Amish Baked Oatmeal

I made Amish Baked Oatmeal the other day and it was AMAZING.  I like oatmeal, but definitely don't have a Bert-like devotion to the stuff.  It seems like a very simple recipe (and it is) but it is....incredible!  Try it!  Now!

(This isn't the recipe I used, but I didn't take any photos, and this is basically what mine looked like)

Amish Baked Oatmeal
1/3 c butter
2 large eggs
3/4 c brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp nutmeg or cinnamon (I used cinnamon)
1/4 tsp salt
1 c milk
2 tbsp. milk
3 c. oatmeal

Melt butter.  Grease 1 1/2 quart baking dish and drop in eggs.  Beat well.  Add brown sugar, baking powder, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt.  Mix well with no lumps.  (I just used a fork.)  Whisk in butter and both measures of milk, then add oats.  Stir well and refrigerate overnight.  Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes until set in the middle.  Serve hot with warm milk poured over. (We just used cold milk, and it was good.) 

It's also good eaten cold.  It's good no matter how you eat it.  Just be sure you eat it, cause it is really really good.  It might just make me understand my old pal Bert just a little more.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I LOVE Bert!! I'll have to try your Amish Baked Oatmeal. I like that kind of stuff.