February 4, 2013

Potty Success

As you know, we have been working on potty training here for the last couple of weeks, and I think the boy is finally getting it!  He hasn't gone poop on the potty, but he had his first accident in a week today.  So for you inquiring minds, here's how we did it.

For a week, we definitely spent every (almost) waking moment in the bathroom.  We read books, had snacks (I know, gross.), he watched t.v. on the Kindle, and at the end of the week, I thought there was no hope for us.  He went in the potty, but he always seemed surprised when he did. 

Then suddenly, starting last Monday, he just kind of...had it!  He still needs reminders every 1 1/2 hours or so, but there have even been times when I've forgotten for 3 hours and he stayed dry.  I think  the reasons for our success are that he was ready, we just kept trying, I (tried) not to make a big deal of it when he had accidents, and we showed him how proud we were of him when he went in the potty.

It's frustrating that he hasn't gotten all the aspects of going on the potty, but I'm really proud of what he has gotten.

Good luck to all you mommies who are going to try it soon.  It's terrible.  I mean, seriously terrible, but worth it once they get it.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Lovely picture...surely he'll want a copy to show all his girlfriends when he gets older!

Jensen Family said...

Yay Andrew! (YAAAYY Mommy!!!) It's much harder for the mommy than the kiddo it seems.