September 12, 2010

What is required?

I had an aha! moment today. First off, I love the story in the Book of Mormon of Lamoni and Ammon and Lamoni's father and Aaron. How much cooler can the scriptures be, what with all the arms getting lobbed off, the guys fainting for days, oh and of course all of the teaching basic principles about the love of God and all that. For those of you who don't know the story, I highly recommend you read it. It starts in Alma 17. Click here. http://scriptures.lds.org/en/alma/17

After some misunderstandings and a great conversion on Lamoni's father's part, he says,(edited down for space) "What shall I do that I may have this eternal life of which thou hast spoken? Yea, what shall I do that I may be born of God, and receive his Spirit, that I may be filled with joy, that I may not be cast off at the last day? Behold, said he, I will give up all that I possess, yea, I will forsake my kingdom, that I may receive this great joy.

So, I'm thinking...that would be hard. Giving up EVERYTHING. And I'm wondering, would I be so strong as to give everything up for God? Then Aaron tells him that he just has to repent and bow down before God, etc. Then comes the clencher. Here's the King again.

Alma 22:17 &18 - And it came to pass that when Aaron had said these words, the king did bow down before the Lord, upon his knees; yea, even he did prostrate himself upon the earth, and cried mightily, saying: O God, Aaron hath told me that there is a God; and if there is a God, and if thou art God, wilt thou make thyself known unto me, and I will give away all my sins to know thee, and that I may be raised from the dead, and be saved at the last day.

So first off, I know I have to be willing to keep both feet planted on solid ground and keep my eyes and heart focused on Heavenly Father. But the AHA moment came when I realized that the king was WILLING to sacrifice all. It wasn't required that he do so, but the Lord blesses us when we are WILLING to sacrifice all we have for Him, His kingdom, and His children. And if we do it whole-heartedly, when we are called on to sacrifice our time or whatever, we will be more willing to do it, and then we will be more blessed.

I think I'm ready for this week now.

No comments: