June 4, 2014

Beliefs, Opinions, And Why Everyone's Right

 Just know this is not a rant, nor do I think it's something that will change lives.  It's just a thought I had recently.  :)  The ironic thing is that I think this post is going to cause controversy
Why does everyone seem to think they are always right?  Well, because they are.  Now, hear me out.  There are things that are irrefutable.  The Rocky series is the BEST thing to happen to humanity.  Blinking is really gross when you think about it.  Actually, eyes themselves give me the heebie jeebies.  Ice cream is happiness.  Just to name a few.
There are things that I believe with all my heart, and there are others who feel that the exact opposite is true.  It is my opinion that spanking kids rarely does any good.  (I have spanked my kids a couple times, and I was as a child probably 4 times and totally deserved each one.)  I believe in a God who loves me.  I have friends who believe that is a fantasy.  People feel very strongly about both of those things, so that's why I chose them. 
I don't know about you, but when someone states an opinion that I don't agree with, I sometimes feel defensive or slightly upset.  "What?!  This random person on the internet feels like baby formula is evil?  But my kids all started formula around 8 months.  Does this person think I'm a bad parent?  I'm NOT a bad parent!  What a jerk!!!"
Am I the only one?
The problem is, 99% of the time, people are only stating what they believe to be true.  They're not trying to make you look like a bad person, a bad parent, a racist, a fascist, a lazy ignoramus, or a rodeo clown.  They're just stating their opinion.  And as for the other 1%, they have more problems than you.
I hope that all the people who know me know that although I have strong beliefs and opinions, I respect and admire those around me for being different and unique. 
Opinions.  Beliefs.  That's what they are.  You can deny evidence and facts.  You can argue them all day long.  (Not that I condone fighting.)  But what someone thinks and feels and believes is real to them.  It's true to them.  So yes.  EVERYONE IS RIGHT.  Just because I believe something strongly, doesn't make everyone else wrong.  The more I remember that, and the more I try to incorporate it into my dealings with those around me, the better my relationships will be.

But that's just my opinion.

1 comment:

Yvonne said...

Well said! Thanks for sharing :)